HOW TO POST YOUR STORIES

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

NOE Bullet Moulds

Swamprat really helped me out concerning ideas for fixing my "truant" Ruger's chronic leading problems. His recommendation was to check out NOE Bullet Moulds. He has a couple of their moulds and had high praise for them. A quick look at their web page had me sold. They offer both brass and aluminum moulds in a bewildering variety of sizes and configurations, and I found a mold that may just solve my problems.

The mould I chose is a four-cavity aluminum listed as being .432" and 258 grain SWC profile. The cavity design looks virtually identical to the Lyman 429421 that I currently own. I went with aluminum not for the lower price, but for the lower weight of the four-cavity design. Friday morning I emailed the company asking about "as cast" diameter and handle selection. I received a reply within minutes and a follow-up call about a couple other details was handled in a courteous and friendly manner. I was sold and placed my order online. Imagine my surprise when my new mould and handles arrived Monday morning!

The moulds are works of art. Following the company's suggested breaking-in process, I was soon casting bullets. Bullets dropped from the mould with a gently shake rather than the pounding on the handle hinge-bolt needed with my Lee and Lyman molds. With my alloy bullets weighed 258-259 grains and were sharp and clean on all edges. Diameter measures an average of .43270" (borrowed a friend's five-place digital micrometer for precision - which also proved my bore and chamber throats are .4322" rather than the .4325" my mic read - not earth shattering but helpful) which would allow for a quick pass through a .432" sizer (special ordered from Lee and not on hand yet) to clean up and uniform the bullets.

The handles are very well made and are pinned to keep the wood from working off during use; a very welcome idea.

Once I get my sizing die I'll let you know how things work out. In the mean time I will be sizing a few to .430" to try in my other .44s. I strongly suggest anyone looking for reasonably priced quality moulds to check out NOE. I think you will be as impressed as I am.


3 comments:

Varmint Hunting International said...

I am glad it worked out for you. That is an amazing shipping time, those guys are good. I thought that mold would throw large enough bullets for you to stop most or all of your leading. Those are good people to do business with.

Good looking bullets, I may have to order a mold for my 45 from them.

Swamprat

SSL said...

I noted that they have a version of the RCBS .45 mould that I think you have - 270 grain SAA, but theirs is a bit heavier at .454" and 285 grains. I may have to try one at some point, but my Lee RNFPs are doing all I need right now. That generous flat point (.348" with my mould/alloy) still hits pretty hard!

Varmint Hunting International said...

I have that RCBS mold and it's a good one. I thought the same thing, but haven't done it. I do like the NOE molds.

Swamprat