HOW TO POST YOUR STORIES

Friday, August 28, 2015

Check your Safety!!

Before hunting season starts,PLEASE, check your firearms.  I got my old 338 Win Mag out  the other day.  Bill has used it for years and I have hunted with it too.  Never gave much thought to it not working properly, it always has.  I decided to check the trigger and safety.  I pulled the trigger with the safety on, it moved a little too much, I pulled harder  and heard and felt the click.  Uh Oh!!  Then I tried it again, not pulling quite so hard this time and it held.  Then I moved the safety foward to off and the firing pin dropped again.  This aint good!

Savage says we are not supposed to adjust the safety screw on 110's.  This one has never been adjusted, neither had the trigger.  The jisem on the screws was still there.  I scrapped it off and adjusted it so the rifle won't fire on safe, that's a good thing, but if I bump it real hard on the butt pad on fire it will.  There is a lot of slack in that trigger and I am replacing it and possibly the safety also.  I ordered a Timney Trigger for it and am waiting to see what comes with it and how it all works.  I'm not going to tear it down until I get the new trigger.  I'll decide then what else I need. I may be able to adjust it all more but I have been wanting to try the new Timney Savage Trigger anyway.  I figure now is the time.

After that I pulled everything out of the safe and did a safety check on them all.  That's a good idea for us all.  Just Saying.  When I get started on this one, I'll update with pictures.  I may need some help.

Swamprat

1 comment:

SSL said...

Darned good advice! Just checked all of mine...all good but glad of the reminder to check them. Keep us updated on your new trigger.