HOW TO POST YOUR STORIES

Sunday, October 4, 2015

SIMPLE THANGS

SIMPLE THANGS
By Swamprat

Sometimes I get so caught up in the rat race.  Always trying to get something or the other done or on the go all the time.  I forget how much fun the simple things in life can be.  That includes shooting.  The other day I got out the little Ruger 10-22 I bought and did all the modifications on a while back and took it and my 17 HMR to the range. I'm usually doing some kind of load development or sighting in a big game rifle and had forgotten how much fun a 22 can be. 

I  bought an older 10/22 on Gunbroker a couple of years ago, I forget I think it was made in the 60's, before the plastic trigger groups and all the useless "safety" additions the lawyers made them add to them.  Then I bought a pdf book by Roger Seher, at roger@dominateyourmarket.com called Performance Enhancements of the Ruger 10/22.  Man that is a good resource if you want to make one shoot.  I think I did everything he suggested in that book, it took quite some time to get it all done.  Then I bought a Green Mountain barrel for it and mounted a Bushnell Banner 3-12 scope on it.  I expect the new barrel and trigger work had more to do with the accuracy of that little rifle than anything else, but that little gun will shoot.  I can shoot the 1" center of a target all day long at 50 yards.  I've never seen the beat of it.  I usually take it with me when I go to the range.  I really enjoy it when a kid or woman is trying to learn to shoot and is having trouble with their groups.  I take it out, load it up and let them shoot it.  It's a real confidence booster when they can actually hit what they shoot at.

Anyway I took it to the range and was shooting it and a guy walked up and asked how I got that kind of accuracy out of it.  He bought one for his grandson and was really disappointed in it.  I told him what all I did (that I could remember) and he said he didn't want to do that much work on one.  I understand that but you don't get something for nothing.  I hear it all the time.  They want accuracy and dependability but they want it without any effort on their part.  It's too much trouble to reload and do all that load development, it shoots ok without it.  I understand that but then they ooh and ahh over my groups and wish they could do as well.  Kinda like the work force these days.  Somewhere along the way Americans have forgotten that it actually FEELS GOOD to accomplish something with their own hands.  I guess I'm crazy but that's what I enjoy most about shooting and hunting.

I wish 22 ammo wasn't so scarce because I really had a good time with it.  It's about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on.

God Bless,

Swamprat

3 comments:

SSL said...

Good job. The old 10/22 was made to shoot but was limited by design and fit issues as to accuracy. heavy trigger pulls, uneven bedding, torque created by that barrel band and varying quality in bore condition made accuracy a sometimes thing. I did the same thing about 10 or so years ago with a few 10/22s my buddy acquired and was pleased with the results. Some I totally re-stocked and installed new barrels and others I re-bedded in the original stocks and lapped the bores. All shot much better and two of the re=barreled rifles could manage 1/5" 10-shot groups at 50 yards with select ammo. You are totally right, nothing beats the satisfaction of doing a good job yourself. Have fun!

Varmint Hunting International said...

Thanks SSL, I thinned down the old stock, did away with the barrel band, and opened the barrel channel and floated that new Green Mountain barrel. I also drilled a hole on each side of the reciever and installed set screws to tighten up and center the trigger group (the metal trigger group). I'll have to look up the PDF I used to remember what I did to the trigger, but it is much better now. I would love to take this little rifle squirrel hunting (tree squirrels), oh well maybe some day.

We are out of town right now but I'll post some pics of it soon.

Swamprat

SSL said...

Glad you knew about the set-screw trick...I forgot to mention it.