HOW TO POST YOUR STORIES

Sunday, September 20, 2015

HOUSE COYOTES

I have been getting up a little before daylight and sitting on the patio.  We overlook the 5th green on a golf course.  NO I don't play golf.  Anyway I have been seeing a few coyotes on the golf course.  Much to my neighbors (and maybe Sues) annoyance I have been playing with them with an old Pee Wee CrittRcall I had lying around.  It's amazing what you can learn by just calling and watching.  I have a few new tricks up my sleeve, but mostly I've learned that less is more.  This morning I saw 5 coyotes, 3 in one bunch and 2 singles.  Soft lip squeaks do wonders.  I saw one that was about 400 yards out when I first saw him.  I did a real soft squeak on the critter call.  He stopped what he was doing and started looking my way.  I waited and he started coming towards me.  I kept quiet until he stopped.  Then I squeaked a little more but with a cadence like the rabbit calls.  He started coming again and I kept quiet and let him come.  Every time he stopped I'd just give him a little squeal and stop.  I had him within 20 yds of me......................sitting on my patio which is attatched to the house.
He knew something was off, but he kept coming. 

The others acted similarly.  They were all closer.  I gave them a rabbit in distress and they all stopped and looked.  Not for just a second either, those yotes stood there close to a minute, just frozen in place.  One trotted away but the others came closer and stayed a while, trying to make up their minds. 

Now granted these yotes haven't been hunted but I can't help but wonder if their actions were not kinda normal to what we could find in a place where we can hunt.  This is how I used to call before the electronics.  I killed coyotes then and think it will work now.  I may still use my Foxpro but I think I will try using it like a mouth call.  Less just might be more.

Swamprat

3 comments:

Unknown said...

It's only annoying when you're 10 feet away and wake me up out of a dead sleep! LOL

Doug said...

I don't know there Swamp rat, The Mamma bear inside just might be something to pay attention to. lol I know Laura would have a different opinion than mine on dawn varmint calling under her window. Thanks for the information. I have always done just the opposite. Make lots of noise at first. Maybe that's why I get skunked so much. Although one time I did call in a flock of Buzzards, and a game warden. (True story!) My wife still laughs about it.
Doug

Varmint Hunting International said...

I've called in a Game Warden or 2 myself. Not much demand for their hides though.

Swamprat