HOW TO POST YOUR STORIES

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Just a plain old 243

I finally went to the range today and shot the 243 with the new Vortex scope.  First, I really like the scope.  It is as clear as any I have ever looked through and the adjustable parallex  really helps.  I never owned one before. I bore sighted it at home.  At our range we cant shoot at 25 yards, don't ask me but the powers that be have deemed it dangerous.  So I set the first target up at 50 yards and was about an inch high and 1/2" left of the bullseye.  I can't complain about that.  I moved it out to 100 yards and very few shots later it was zeroed.  The 1/4" clicks MOVE the point of impact 1/4" at 100 yards.  I had it set at maximum (12x) power and it delivered just like they say it does.  I am really impressed with the optics and mechanics of this scope.  As far as I can tell from one time out with it, I would recommend it.  But it's still early in the game.

The next thing I did was the load development with the 80 gr. Barnes TTSX bullets.  I get good groups with the 85 gr. TSX with 38 gr. Varget, so I started there with the 80's.  



Then I moved up to 38.5 gr. of Varget.



That was a little better but not what this rifle is capable of.  Like I said I had a hard time finding load data on the powders I had.  I wasn't sure how far I could go with the Varget so I stopped there.  I found data using H-4350 on LoadData.com.  It showed a minimum charge of 41.5 gr for 3159 fps and a max of 45.5 grains for 3398.  I didn't start out at the bottom, I know I should have but this rifle is solid and I fudged a little.  It usually shoots best at the higher end of velocities.  

I should add here that from my observation (for what thats worth) Barnes Bullets are kinda finicky.  A half a grain of powder can make a lot of difference with them.  I haven't read this but I start out on the low end and move up 1/2 grain at a time.  Somewhere in there you will find a "sweet spot" that shoots really well.  A 1/2 grain either way will put you out of the ball park.  So thats what I did.  I didn't figure flyers in the group size.  I am not the worlds greatest shot so some are 4 shot and some are 3 shot.  That's why I load 4 rounds for each weight.  So far it works for me.

I started at 43.0 grains of H-4350:


That's an honest 1" group.

43.5 grains:




44.0 grains.



44.5 grains



45.0 grains.


Sweet Spot.  Folks that top hole is 2 shots, believe me.  It's hard to show it in a picture but another guy at the range helped me verify that.  I'll probably never do that again.

45.5 grains.



It opened up.  Still not bad but you can see what I mean about the Barnes bullets.  This has happened with every rifle I have used them on.  Every time.

I still need to load some more and verify my results but I think I have found the right load for this rifle.  It's just a Plain Jane Remington 700 ADL with a synthetic stock.  I bought it at Walmart in Tyler, Texas years ago.  They had it priced wrong I know, I asked if the price was right and the manager at the gun counter told me they didn't price items wrong, it had been checked and rechecked.  It was almost $100 cheaper than one just like it in 270 Win.   I don't remember what I payed for it, but I bought it.   It has to be one of my favorites.

Swamprat

2 comments:

Doug said...

I never would have guessed that just a 1/2 grain would make that much difference.
It sure looks like you found that sweet spot alright.
dkn

SSL said...

It is always fascinating to see how little changes affect groups. Each rifle is different and surprises always pop up when developing loads. I usually see accuracy improve as loads get hotter until that magical "sweet spot" and then degrade again. Looks like you have a good handle on those loads. Good luck.