HOW TO POST YOUR STORIES

Monday, September 28, 2015

New Pup

When I first set the date to retire I decided it was time to think about getting a bird dog pup. It has been many years since I had the time to train a pup and it would be a good way to help stay in shape. Though I once raised English Setters and still have a soft spot for them, the absolute best gun dog I ever had was a German Shorthair so that's the route I went. I initially picked my pup out at two weeks and picked him up this last Saturday. The breeder insists on only original German lines that have proven themselves in multiple versatile/ hunting disciplines. This also results in substantial bone and muscle. I had not known that black/roan Shorthairs existed but soon learned that they not only are acceptable, but are sought after in many circles in Canada and Europe. Since I'm sort of like the old cowboy when asked about his horse's papers replied, "Hell, I don't ride papers!", I don't hunt colors. More important to me is bloodlines and genetics. All of the breeder's dogs and pups are AKC registered and hip-tested...that works for me.

First day home at 8 weeks.



2 comments:

Varmint Hunting International said...

Now that's a good looking puppy. I know you will enjoy him. Good luck on the training and let us know how he's doing. As soon as we can get out of California I intend to get another dog myself. I tend to lean towards hounds but the Shorthairs are great dogs.

Swamprat

Doug said...

Good lookin' dog alright. Very smart breed. My son took to training my dad's German Short hair pup. In town here, we have a very strict leash law. Well my son would walk that dog around town on a leash alright, but Freckles would be holding the leash in his mouth, as he walked beside my kid. What could they say?? That dog lived to be 16 years old, eating table scraps, and Kennel ration can dog food. He dearly loved baked potato's with sour cream and lots of butter. great dog.
Good luck with him.

I have wanted a Weimaraner for years. That will be my next one I think.

Doug