HOW TO POST YOUR STORIES

Monday, September 14, 2015

What about a back up hunting weapon. 

Here is a guy that is lucky.  Probably belongs on the 'Darwin' list.  But glad he's alive though.
 http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/man-in-serious-condition-after-attack-by-bear-in-Alaska/ar-AAeh9FN?li=BBieTUX

What should he have been carrying? I have a Ruger 41 Mag.  single action.  Being in California, the off the shelf all copper bullets aren't worth much.  They fall apart as soon as they hit something hard.
But aside from that, I think that a good Barnes hand loaded bullet around 215 grain SWC would do the trick.
Now some of my friends are touting the 44 Mag.  I personally think the the 41 Mag has a flatter trajectory, and more penetrating power than the 44, plus less kick.   

Any comments out there?
Doug

1 comment:

Varmint Hunting International said...

Barnes makes a solid bullet that's supposed to be tough. I have had good luck with the Barnes TSX and TTSX rifle bullets. I have some Barnes 185 gr. bullets loaded for the 45 ACP but have never shot them into meat. I have been reading that a fairly hard allow lead bullet in a large caliber is a good choice. I have some from Lead Head bullets for the 45 Colt but haven't used any of them either. I loaded some 300 gr. Hornday XTP Mags in front of 20.2 gr. of Winchester 296 that come out of the barrel around 1200 fps, for the 45 Colt when Bill went bow hunting for elk close to Yellowstone. I never shot a bear with em, but after a few rounds through it a bear will have to be after me to want to shoot them again. The were designed for the Casull and I know they won't hold up too far in the 45 Colt, but at the distance I'd shoot a grizzly with them they ought to be pretty mean. I think the 325 gr. Leadheads would work also.

If you want, we can order some bullets for your 41 mag and you and it come see me, we'll see what we can do with it. The 41 Mag is supposed to be an awesome round.

Swamprat